Saturday, October 17, 2009

AN UNEXPECTED E-MAIL LEADING TO A SURPRISING DISCOVERY

On a Friday, October 3rd, 2008, a man named Shaul Sharoni decided to write me an e-mail from Israel. I had never heard of his name, but he had read this blog and was offering to get in contact with Yad Vashem (The Central Database of Shoah Victims' Names) submitters for me. He had found 17 entries under the surname “Tolpolar”, and was willing to help.


Surprised and extremely grateful for this generous offer, I accepted and together we started to research for possible names and their contacts. To make a long story short, 16 days after Mr. Sharoni sent me that wonderful e-mail he managed to get in contact with one of the submitters; a man on his 80’s called Yeruham Golan, who was living in Israel. Mr. Golan was nothing but the submitter of Sioma Tolpolar’s death information to Yad Vashem. And Sioma was Fima’s brother, both first degree cousins of my father. In our trip to Moldova we visited the house where they were born and the place where Sioma was killed by the Romanian Nazis, in Cepeleutz.



I will reproduce here Mr. Sharoni’s amazing e-mail:
“Hello Cassio,

Contrary to my assumption that Yerhuam Golan is no longer alive, it turned out he's very much alive. I spoke to him and his wife this evening, and here's in short what he told me:

Iza Tolpolar nee Fleck was his first cousin-their mothers were sisters, and as noted in the POT she was a Swiss citizen. She and her husband, Sioma Tolpolar, were both medical doctors at the village where they settled in, and shortly before the Nazis invaded that area they were murdered by the locals.

Apparently, Yeruham and his family were living in the same village, and thus knew them very well. Iza's sister is living in NY, and is already over the age of 90. Yeruham would give them a call tomorrow and try to ask for more info.

Now, he also speaks English and I suggest that you try to contact him directly. He's 80 years old and is not computer-savvy, though his wife seems to be a newcomer to the world of Internet.

Lastly, they added that a number of years ago some foreign guy visited or contacted them while on vacation here in Israel-he was also looking for Tolpolar, though they don't recall his name or his whereabouts.

All the best,
Shaul”

After 67 years of Sioma’s assassination, who was wrapped in mystery – nobody I met seemed to know what exactly happened and why he and his wife Iza had gone to Cepeleutz to flee from the Nazis – I could be able to get in touch with somebody who could give me more specific information. I was very excited and grateful for Mr. Sharoni’s efforts and interest.

I called Yeruham a few times. I would ask him questions and he had to check with his cousin Dina (Iza’s sister) in New York and then I had to call him back again. I asked if I could speak directly with her, but for some reason he didn’t want to give me her phone number. I never insisted, I would keep calling him and he would check with Dina, until one day he decided to give me her phone number. Then everything changed. I called Dina, her husband Grischa promptly got the phone. I felt so overwhelmed by the possibilities of things they could tell me I couldn't ask everything on the phone. So I told him I would pay them a visit. He told me something like “You better hurry up. I’m 95 and Dina is 92 years-old. We are fine today but we don’t know what’s gonna happen tomorrow”.

I immediately bought tickets to New York. In February 2009 I was going to meet the sister of Sioma’s wife. I was bringing the camera to videotape it and my sister was joining me from Pittsburgh. I was anxious, nervous and excited.

Next: Meeting Dina Zonis and uncovering the past.

3 comments:

Livald said...

Extremely interesting !
I never get tired reading those family stories !
J-Marc

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Topolar,
I have been very interested in reading your reports.
My grandmother, Eta Rosenthal, and her son, Yossel, and her daughter, Rahel, were from Yedinitz. They were never located after the Holocaust.
I noticed that in your lates blog entry you received an important email from an Israeli named Shaul Sharoni.
My grandmother Eta was married to Yitzchok Rosenthal whose sister, Mariam Leah, married a man with the name of Shoihet. The Shoihet family settled in Israel in 1933. Mariah Leah's daughter lives in Israel, and her name is Tziporah Sharoni. I wonder if there is a relationship there.
I have asked Tziporah Sharoni about what happened to my relatives in Yedinitz, but she was 12 years old when she settled in Israel and doesn't know anything about what happened.
I am also related to the Yorav family of Tirat Tzvi, Israel, which has a web site (www.yorav.co.il) which addresses their geneaology. I e-mailed them but have not received any response from them.
I am looking for any way to get information about my grandmother and uncle and aunt. Any leads or advice would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached at tinakahn123@gmail.com.
Yours truly,
Tina Kahn

Cassio Tolpolar said...

J-Marc, thanks for reading the posts! Sorry I haven't been posting as often as I wanted, but there's more to come.

Best,
Cassio